Friday, March 26, 2010

Recipe Books

The other day, I blogged about the cookbook/themed recipe swaps I have participated in for years. I had a picture of one of the cookbook covers...here are 2 of my favorite recent pages that I "played" in. The first was a picnic theme, the second, childhood favorites.



I had never heard of friendship bread before, I guess this isn't new, and according to the starter mix and the recipe that I received, the Amish have been doing this forever. A friend of mine sort of burst my bubble and informed me how I can make my own starter...but, I like my version better....the comraderie of gifting starter is so much more special... I do know, there is NO WAY possible I have enough friends to keep my starter going...so, unfortunately, my enthusiasm with the bread did END....but that wasn't until after my family had enjoyed many many loaves of it!

My layout: I wanted to jump on the forest friends trend (probably a bit late)...and somehow the childhood Toad and Frog type books kept creeping into my thought process...I visualized a group of forest friends all gathering together to have a picnic...(you know, sitting on a toadstool, ladybugs and butterflies, a little deer, bunny and raccoon....oh and some flowers....)..I still didn't get to that creative place that I was going for...but...the direction I ended up with worked out. I have to say, this was one of my favorite recipe pages I ever created (I always say this is my fave...I totally get into it I guess).....this group I have swapped with, have been "friends", although on-line, with me for many years... I feel priveledged to call them my friends. If they were my neighbor...I'd have given them some starter for sure! So, IF you receive a starter...this is what you need to know:

· Day 1: This is the day you receive the batter. Date and place bag on counter.
· Day 2,3,4,&5: Mush the bag.
· Day 6: Add to the bag: 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Mush the bag.
· Day 7,8,&9: Mush the bag.
· Day 10: Mix and divide the starter. See instructions below.

Pour entire contents of bag into non-metal bowl. Add 1-1/2 cups flour, 1-1/2 cups sugar, and 1-1/2 cups milk. Mix well. Measure 1 cup of batter into each of 4 one-gallon Ziploc bags. Keep one for yourself and give three to friends along with a copy of this recipe. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Add to remaining batter in bowl:

· 3 eggs
· 1/2 cup oil
· 1/2 cup applesauce
· 1/2 cup milk
· 1 cup sugar
· 2 tsp. Cinnamon
· 1/2 tsp. Vanilla
· 1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
· 1/2 tsp. Salt
· 2 cups flour
. 1 large (5.1-oz) Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix

Grease 2 large non-metal loaf pans. Mix an additional 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon. Dust pans with 1/2 of this mixture. Pour the batter evenly into the pans and sprinkle remaining sugar & cinnamon mixture over the batter. Bake for 1 hour or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Note: If you keep starter for yourself, you will be baking every 10 days. Only the Amish know how to create the starter. If you aren't lucky enough to get a starter...here is how you can make your own....I like the thought of having been given a starter...but just in case your circle of friends are not connected to the Amish....you may need to start your own! It's easy:


To “start” the bread (Day 1)

1 cup milk
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar


NEXT:




My second recipe is simple. The theme was, a childhood recipe that we tweaked along the way. Well, it doesn't take long to be around me to know I CANNOT STAND TO EAT seafood. Imagine that, living in the Pacific NW, where we are known for the premium seafood that we take from the ocean and shores. (Columbia River salmon? That's right in my backyard...) Anyhow....clams........blech! So, my tweak was to remove the clams...which I know is potato soup...but to me...it's my Mom's clam chowder...So, even though not one little mussel came even close to the pot....it's still clam chowder....that's my story and I'm sticking with it!

7—8 Slices of Bacon, cut in pieces
6-7 small potatoes, peeled and diced
1/2 onion, diced
1 can of clams, (in clam juice) <---NOTE: I included a tag which clearly stated to LEAVE THESE OUT!!!!!!!!! I did put them in this recipe since it was to be the "old days" version....
4-5 cups milk
3 Tablespoons Cornstarch completely dissolved in 1/2 cup milk
Salt and pepper (to preference)

Fry bacon in onion. Add potatoes and clams. Simmer until potatoes are cooked. Slowly add milk with stove temperature at medium heat. Add dissolved cornstarch. Stir constantly until chowder is thickened. Season to taste!

Note: Other fun ingredients may be added such as Carrots and Celery.
Add these or veggies of choice with the potato mixture prior to adding milk.
For thicker chowder, add more dissolved cornstarch.
If chowder is too thick, dilute by adding more milk.

So, my cutting and pasting is looking a little funky on my blog. It's late, and I uploaded these pictures in draft mode from the factory before I left this Friday evening. (I LUV Fridays!) I have other pictures in draft form to post over the weekend. I'm stalling until early next week when I will post some new creations....I just want the recipients to see first!

If you have any questions on the recipes...let me know! I can vouch for how they taste!



Trudi

No comments:

Post a Comment