Tuesday, April 19, 2011

WHO KNEW!!!!


That Mother Nature was going to deprive me of my precious sleep.....For those of you who know me...I'm sure you have heard me sing the blues about cold, rain, wind, etc...all the elements that can wipe out 1/2 of our livlihood for the year....(thank goodness we are diversified!)....well...WHO KNEW...that the last 2 nights we'd be babysitting our trees with freezing temperatures. What little apricots we have left (the 10 degree temperatures 2 months ago wiped out 2/3 of our crop) are in danger...and a very abundant crop of cherries are now at risk...plus peaches too! (26 acres total in trees)....NOT TOO MENTION...26 acres of asparagus simply cannot grow when it's cold! (thank goodness the 10 degrees didn't kill the crowns buried deep in the ground...)

SO....last night and the same the night before that....we anxiously waited for the temperature alarms to blare....when that happens...it's MY job to rally my husband out of the house to turn the wind machines on....he likes to talk himself out of it...and I can't sleep until I hear the truck leave the driveway up to the orchards.....so....NO sleep for me Sunday night....(it didn't dip down that low until about 3:00 a.m.! I can't sleep until he's GONE remind you.....last night was better.... 1:00 a.m....but something at about 4:00 didn't seem right....the WIND came up...and what was once 31 degrees...was climbing back up...so, not only did we have to worry about frost damage....WIND MACHINE DAMAGE...which is costly costly costly....OY! OY! OY! He had the machines on at 1:30 and at 4:00...I was nudging him back out of the house to check the mph of the wind...(can't exceed 7)....so...the machines went off...and I never ever slept....I was watching those temps so closely...as the coldest time is *typically* DAWN...

So, my friends...this long story explains why I didn't have my Christmas Card Monday to share yesterday! I planned on uploading LAST NIGHT...afterall, it was still MONDAY!!! BUT BUT BUT...I layed down to "rest" at 9:30 or so...(still had about 1 hour left to "finish"...) and FELL ASLEEP! (I could have made the midnight deadline)....I knew I needed to stay asleep for a few hours...as last night proved to be SLEEPLESS...(I really couldn't leave my alarm system, although that alarm is very loud...I probably could have heard it in my studio...maybe...we have a fairly big house, and my studio is in our daylight basement....

I couldn't risk it...

Good news...it is ALMOST finished....I snuck in for about 15 minutes this morning...and I only have a few finishing touches....So, I'm going to cut myself some slack on missing my deadline....I guess our livlihood does pay for my supplies...and I'm a work hard, play hard kind of gal...Since I'm not the one out in the chilly orchard...the least I can do is stay in my cozy bed...and watch the temperatures...(I don't completely trust the temperature alarm....)

On the positive side...I think I've seen almost every episode now of Housewives of Miami, Orange County, New York...and now...New Jersey...there isn't much on TV this time of the night...and it seems like BRAVO is playing these! I think they need a Housewives of Eastern Washington....could be fun!

For today....I am sharing something we shipped out yesterday...in the 25 years of business...this is one of the prettiest orders we have shipped...I sell to a jeweler who ordered 300 of these for a Mothers Day promo...I have a great team who takes a lot of pride in their work!

I will post picture tomorrow! Just have a little of this and a little of that to do on my Bingo Card! I didn't overthink it either...still have lots of "steps"....but, it's coming along! I was able to join in on a Cricut Challenge too!

Til Tomorrow, TTFN!

Trudi

No comments:

Post a Comment